When will the memories return?

Today, I caught up with a friend of mine, Celine, who lives in New Zealand. I always enjoy our check-in talks and our conversations ran the usual range of topics. From school and work, to cultural exchange, politics and a deep dive into some rabbit hole of a specific area of public relations, it was a great talk that was good for my soul. There came a moment in the conversation, as I spoke with someone outside of the American bubble I've been living in, where I became very conscious and self-aware in how our changing world had affected my perspective. Two years ago, the world was very different. The patterns in the news, the issues we faced, and the unity we felt. Big world events are easy to identify because of the onslaught of emotion and knee-jerk reaction that accompany them. But less easy to identify, are the moments when the effects of those changes (think Brexit, 2016 election, the new wave of populism) become the status quo of our world.


Here on the home front this past week, the issue of separated immigrant families being housed in cages has dominated the headlines. Brands have taken stances; politicians have spoken out; social media has been ablaze. But the voice of our democracy is unified in a consistent rejection of a zero tolerance immigration policy. This has been a surreal experience, especially because of my many close connections and experiences with undocumented immigrants in the Rio Grande Valley. Seeing reports from national news outlets showing the Wal-Mart I used to shop at for groceries converted into a youth detention center and reading how Melania Trump arrived today at the very same airport I traveled through when I first began my service as a missionary for the LDS Church - moments like these are strange. I'm able to recognize these before separate worlds finally in combination as they merge with each other.


Image result for walmart brownsville texas













Later, while checking twitter, I stumbled upon a video of Bernie Sanders. Historically, I haven't been one to ride the Bernie train - but today as I watched - I took a step back and tried to listen to him without a political lens or initial bias - I simply just wanted to listen as a human seeking common ground. I found a lot in common and a lot to support.


This quick Bernie twitter video brought to mind a scene from one of my favorite movies, The Giver. Jeff Bridges, the Giver himself, ends the film with a powerful monologue - underscoring the values of humanity and the power of choice in shaping our mortal existence as he appeals to his fellow citizens to reverse the course they have chosen to following. Following his speech, Jonas, the hero protagonist, crosses the threshold and the memories return to a world that chose to forget. It's a moment filled with power. Beauty, light, vibrance and color all flood back as the community awakens to what was lost.

After rewatching the scene, I reflected back upon my earlier observation. In the past few years our world, our country, our community have undergone Change. I am left to ponder and anticipate the question: "When will the memories return?"



I hope that this moment of forgetting, this departure from civility, democracy and humanity will quickly draw to a close. I hope that people will remember their faith, draw closer to God, their families, their loved ones but also reach out to strangers, enemies and opponents with equal respect and civility. I hope we can forget our fears, and remember what it takes to live with unity, friendship and respect for one another. I hope we can all agree on this: it's time for the memories to return. 

Comments

Popular Posts